Camptocamp.org was updated on the 5th of November and provides lots of new functionnalities and bugfixes.
Left menu folding
You can now fold / unfold the left menu to gain som eplace. By default, the menu is folded in the lists.
The folding / unfolding button appears when the mouse crosses the space between the left menu and the page body: its a vertical bar accessible from the whole page height.
The menu state is stored in the preferences: a different state is possible for the homepage / list pages / other pages.
This functionality is not available for internet explorer 6.
- Management of pictures: the code for inserting pictures in documents has been reworked and we now directly use the id of the picture, rather than the link to the image file (all existing references have been automatically updated). This allows enhanced functionalities, like the handling of legends explained below. It is now required to associate a picture to a document before inserting it into the document.
- Collaborative documents case: only collaborative pictures can be inserted. For a transition period, personal pictures inserted will still be displayed, but within a yellow frame with a warning. Later on, the licence of these pictures must be changed, or the image tag removed from the collaborative document. Read more in the album help.
- New tool to insert a picture in a guidebook document: it is accessible through the [img] button.
- New picture category: "book cover".
- By default, pictures inserted in a document now have a frame and a leged.
- You can now modify the picture of a "picture" document without the need of creating a new document. In order to do this, simply edit the "picture" document and select a new file. This is especially useful to update a schema while keeping all associations and links in the documents.
- It is now possible to search picture on a date criterion withour providing the year or the day.
- The search of pictures on areas is no more applied to the areas associated to the picture (thus returning only georeferenced pictures), but on the areas associated to the documents associated to the pictures. There are a lot more results.
- You can associate a picture to your personal profile from the picture page. Any picture can be associated to your profile: collaborative or personal, you as author or not.
In an area page, links to specific lists of documents have been added.
- Books associated to a route are displayed on top of the bibliography field, which is more consistent and less error prone.
- The "Gear" field provides links to the basic gear required for the type of route concerned. When editing the field, only specific gear must be explained.
- Modifications of the global rating, cotations ED4, ED5, ED6, ED7 added.
- Change of name: "Climbing site" has been completed by "one-pitch crags, boulder areas, gyms". In fact, "climbing site" documents are made only for one-pitch crags, boulder areas and gyms. Multi-pitch sites are described in "summit/cliff" documents to which each multi-pitch is associated as a "route" document.
- As a consequence, the "Site type" field only contains single-pitch, boulder, climbing gym. The "trad" or "alpine" character must be described with the "Quality of in-place protections" field.
- As for routes, the bibliography field now contains the associated books.
- A "Site history" field similar to the routes history field has been added.
- Pictures displayed in the bottom of the document are those associated to the site + thoses associated to the sub-sites (sectors).
- New icons to indicate the public transport type available for an access point (in lists).
- If the access point is accessible with public transports, the "PT access" field adds a link to the outings made from this access point for which public transportation was used to reach the access point.
- "Minimum starting altitude" field display depends on the "Snow clearing" field: if snow clearing is not applicable, the minimum altitude is not displayed.
- The list of access points provides the snow clearing type information.
- The list of huts provide the phone number and a link to the hut websitee (if this information is provided in the corresponding fields of the hut document).
- It is possible to use the date as criterion without providing a year or a day.
- New icons used to show the crowding in the lists.
- OUting wizard enhancements:
- routes proposed are those of the summit and the associated sub-summits
- To associate a memeber to an outing, you can now enter part of the forum or guidebook name (before search was done only on the guidebook name).
- New book type: bibliography.
- In a book page, areas of the documents associated to the book are displayed.
- In a summit, access point or hut page, the list of books is displayed below the routes list and contains:
- first, books directly associated to the document
- second, separated by a spacer, the books associated to the routes associated to the document
It is thus useless to associate a book to a summit or hut: you only need to associate the book to the routes that are described in the book. A book should be associated to a summit or hut only if the book describes the summit or hut, and not only route that reach it (for a summit: geology, history, etc). It is the case of some guidebooks that contain a description of some summits on several pages, but most guidebooks do not have such description. On the other hand, there are books whose subject is a summit: when directly associated to the summit they appear on top of the list.
- On a georeferenced user profile, you will find links similar to those in the access points to show the itinerary between your own profile georeferencing and that of the targeted user.
The association tools have been reworked. There is now a single tool for each document. This will simplify the layout.
- In most documents, the layout of the informations on the top has been modified.
- In routes and outings, the layout of some text fields has also been modified.
List of routes in a document
New display of the routes list in a summit, access point or hut page:
- If there are more than 6 routes, they are sorted by activity. Multi-activities route are repeated in each group.
- Each group can be folded/unfolded.
- If a personal filter on activities is configured, the activities not matched by the filter are folded by default.
- A table of content on top of the list allows to easily reach an activity. If the activity group is folded, it is unfolded.
- 2 buttons allow to (un)fold all groups.
- A link directs to the same list but as a search result. This allows to filter on other criteria than activity and to reach the list form (see below).
For most document types, the list page contains a form:
- Each row has a check box to select it
- On the top and bottom of the list, 2 combo boxes allow you to transform the list:
- choice of the document type
- choice of the origin of the list: selected documents or all documents of the list (including other pages)
- New button to share a document on digg, facebook, wordpress etc...
- It is possible to directly view a PDF or PPT link within the page: usefulif you do not have the corresponding software or plugin to read it.
- If a search returns nothing, Google results are presented.
- "Previous" and "Next" document links have been moved to the left menu.
- New text formatting tag:
- [sup]text[/sup]: superscript text
- [ind]text[/ind] : subscript text
- Display of the document picto in some comboboxes (e.g. fast search or association tool). Works only on some browsers.
camptocamp.org on mobile phones
A first version of a CSS for mobile phone (e.g. IPhone, Android...) is provided. No configuration is required, it is automatically detected by the device.
The design is built to view pages in landscape mode (at least 480px wide) with the left menu folded
- You can delete a linguistic version of a document (instead of the whole document).
- Icones for de-associating documents are displayed only when mouse is over, to lighten the layout.
- Area criteria for pictures
- Various translation improvements. You can check the translation status. Do not hesitate to help us translate camptocamp.org in you language!
- Namesake detection of the association tool works again.
- When you follow the link to a non-existing linguistic version of a document, the page to create is displayed instead of an empty artefact.
- Enhancement of the modifications on the EXIF metadata of pictures.
- Lat/lon coordinates validation
- When editing a document, the BBcode toolbar is available for all text fields. It is displayed only for the focused textfield.
- Correct links to add a picture to a document based on the priviledges of the user.
- Display of deleted documents in the last associations list.
- Autocomplete tools and ie8: results are placed correctly
- Many others!
- IE6 support is now limited and the site experience is degraded a lot in these conditions. Goodwills to improve it are welcome.
camptocamp.org source code is now available under an AGPLv3 license.
Dernière modification par gottferdom (05-11-2009 22:18:31)
The website was updated on January 31[sup]ST[/sup]: New functionalities were added and several bugs were corrected.
Links to weather and avalanche forecasts
In any georeferenced document (region, summit, route, climbing site, access point, hut or outing), a link was added below the list of associated regions to weather forecasts and snow and avalanche bulletins (SAB) available for these regions..
The link to the SAB are only shown for ski- and snowboard-touring, snowshoeing, ice, snow and mixed alpine climbing and ice-climbing, between October 1st and May 31st.
In an outing, you will find:
- links to the current weather forecast (of the day the outing is read) as past archives are not available,
- for Switzerland, a link to the SAB of the day before the outing and the day of the outing,
- for France, Italy and Austria, a link to the current SAB (on the day the outing is read) as SAB archives are not available.
The SAB of the day of the outing might seem irrelevant as it gives indications on avalanche risks for the day after. However, it also gives an overview of the day’s snow conditions that can be very useful!
Subscriptions to avalanche bulletins
Don’t forget that you can subscribe to avalanche bulletins for France and Switzerland and receive them by email when they are published: users/mailinglists
The subscription management page was improved with this update of the website.
Number of associated routes and outings in the lists
- In the lists of routes and climbing sites, in the last column, you will find the number of associated outings as well as a link to recent conditions on the route or site.
- In the lists of summits, access points and huts, you will find the number of associated routes in the last column.
Expert links to lists of routes
In the summit, route, access and hut pages, next to each link to an access point, summit or hut, a link has been added to the list of routes that are actually associated to them. These links can be found under an 'i' that shows up when you pass the mouse over the name of the access, summit, etc.
For example, the page of the "Dôme des Ecrins" summit includes a list of the access points associated to the routes that are themselves associated to the summit. By passing your mouse over "La Bérarde" you get an 'i' at the end of the line. By leaving the mouse there, a pop-up window appears. By clicking on the 'i', you get a list of routes between La Bérarde and the Dôme des Ecrins. Same thing for the Pré de Madame Carles or the Temple Ecrins hut.
These links are useful for summits, access-points and huts that have dozens of associated routes.
When editing a document, in the buttons bar, several BBcode buttons have been added:
- the [c] tag: formats the text to appear with fixed width font type
- the [abs] tag (only in the "description" field): allows part of a description to be identified as a summary of the route, summit etc., in order to help user make a quick choice of objective.
These tags were already functional before the update. Only the BBcode buttons were added.
It is now possible to add videos in personal documents (outings in particular), using the [ video ]video’s url [ /video ] syntax.
Video hosting websites that work with camptocamp.org are Youtube, Dailymotion, Google video, Vimeo, Megavideo and Metacafe
Note that the same tags can be used in the forums.
Dates in the lists
The dates that appear in the lists of modifications (versions) have been made more relevant. For example, on January 1st, modifications made on December 31st will no longer appear as having been made “last year”!
Search and association of documents
Selection boxes for ranges, regions and countries
In the advanced search pages, as well as in the customization filters, the ranges, countries and administrative units (French departments and Swiss cantons) have been organized into groups so that they are easier to find.
As before, if you have customized a geographical filter the areas you have selected will appear at the top of the list.
Searches based on the name of documents (simple search on the top of the page or advanced searches) no longer take into account words like "of", "le", "la", "de", "des", etc. as well as brackets etc.
You can thus search directly for "pic chabourneou" or "aiguille scolette".
Name searches were already insensitive to capital letters and accents.
Search and association of other users
It is now easier to find another user using the search engines or for associating them to an outing. The search looks at both forum and guidebook names.
In the wizard as well as in the standard association tool, if a search produces too many results, but there is an exact match, then the match will be offered together with the usual message about the too many results.
In the case of association a registered user to an outing, this allows you to find someone whose nickname is "oliv" among hundreds of “Oliver”).
The lightbox for picture viewing and picture legends
There is now a direct link to the picture’s page in the picture’s caption when included in a document’s text and in the lightbox (pictogram: ). A direct link to the original picture is also available in the lightbox (pictogram: ). This makes it faster to reach a document, without having to scroll down to the bottom of the page where associated images are shown.
To avoid several of the minor mistakes that often block the upload of pictures, the number of characters in the picture’s name has been limited to 150 characters. Beware that the minimum is 4 characters.
Images associated to routes
The link to the "List of all associated images " in a summit’s page now also includes pictures associated to routes associated to a sub-summit.
Image categories: "snow and avalanches "
A new category was created: "snow and avalanches ".
Pictures or drawing to be included in the category include all those related to snow and avalanche science: snow and ice crystals, snow-pack, avalanches etc.
As well as the languages supported on camptocamp.org (English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Catalan and Basque), it is now possible to add "other" if the book or source exists in another language (such as a Japanese guidebook).
The or the languages of books are shown in lists of books.
Books and regions
Since November 2009, a book’s page also shows a list of regions associated to the documents associated to the book (routes, summits…).
It is now possible to search for books on the basis of ranges, regions or countries. The regions are the same as those shown in the book’s page (see above).
Lists of routes, climbing sites and huts
In a list of routes, climbing sites or huts, the associated access points are listed in a specific column.
All the associated access points are shown. For each of them, the following information is displayed:
- name of the access and link
- altitude and minimum altitude
- type of public transport that can take you to the access point
Huts and valley accommodation
A new type of "hut" has been created: "valley accommodation".
This allows easier management of valley accommodation in the guidebook.
Any accommodation that can be reached by car or public transport is considered valley accommodation.
The list of routes associated to the access-point associated to the accommodation is show in it’s page. This way, as soon as a new route is associated with the access point, then it is automatically shown on the accommodation’s page.
Valley accommodations must not be associated directly to routes. Valley accommodations are not yet displayed on a route’s page (they will be later).
Bugs and other corrections
- the outing wizard now also works from the forums
- the left-hand side bar for hiding the left-hand side column didn’t work on the comments page of documents. This has been solved.
- the bar now works correctly with Internet Explorer 8. It has been deactivated with IE7
- several improvements were made to the design of the top part of the pages
- the AddThis button remains visible when the left-hand side menu is hidden (there is a small "+" below the menu)
- several bugs in the advances search filters were corrected
- the display of numbered lists has been improved
- several bugs related to automatic translations have been solved
- the button that gives access to personal messages now works with Internet Explorer 7
- in the image lists, the licence now appears correctly
- other varied bugs
The site was updarted on May 20th 2010 (milestone 2268++) :
New map tool
A new tool was developed and is now visible map and on the pages of all georeferenced objects (summits, routes etc.). It is based on the latest version of the openlayer software. In France it allows you to use the IGN background layer.
Camptocamp widgets on your website or blog
You can now personalize your search criteria and display the results on your own website. Check out the detailed explanations in this article: articles/126682
New interface for uploading images
The new interface detects mistakes in the upload process. This makes uploading pictures easier.
Being able to upload SVG sources is a major improvement which will be very helpful for the creation of route diagrams : articles/219922
A group of steep-skiing fans called BLMS developed and provided camptocamp.org with the code for their famous "cotomètre" which allows you to give a toponeige technical grade to a slope : tools/cotometre
Categories for articles
New categories were created for articles. Check them out by clicking on the "articles" section of the horizontal menu bar.
The "drop your car" portal
A new ecoturism and ecomobility portal was developed in partnership with Mountain Wilderness (see the help). As part of the portal, a new type of document was created : "local products".
On September 19th the guidebook was improved with the following:
- a new dedicated interface was set up for using camptocamp with your mobile phone: m.camptocamp.org/
- the horizontal menu was reorganized and is now more user friendly
Camptocamp.org was updated on December 2nd.
A new snowshoeing activity was implemented (see the discussion here, in French)
A new ice climbing portal was created: portals/245232
It still needs to be translated to English
The list of outings can be sorted according to the grades of the associated routes
You can now sort a list of outings according the characteristics of the associated routes:
- Orientation (aspect)
- Altitude of the start of the difficulties
- Elevation gain of the difficulties
Find out more on the search engine: outings/filter (bottom of the page)
In the map tool, you can now centre the map onto your location by pressing the "my position" button. This service only works with web browsers that offer the localisation of the user (for example Firefox). On a PC connected via ADSL, it will use your IP address (with user approval): this makes it often imprecise but can still be useful.
- The set up of the lists of documents has been modified to be more user-friendly on a mobile.
- The menu was enhanced
- Private messages are now available
See the specific discussion (in French)
Possibilities for searching for documents have been considerably expanded. You can (nearly) do it all now!
For example, you can look for summits reached during candidate outings to the "changer d'approche 2010" contest: summits/list/otags/207416
Or the outings during which pictures submitted to the 2010 photo contest were taken: outings/list/itags/237549 (the link is below the list of images)
Or the members that have already contributed (or participated to) an outing using public transport (or ecomobility in general): users/list/owtp/yes
The only, temporary, drawback is that the search forms to accessing these lists isn't available yet. In the meantime, you'll have to built the corresponding urls by hand
- New design for the search forms: unified size, rounded angles (for some web browsers)
- Shaded colour of the forum messages
Reorganisation of the "Forums" submenu
The "Forums" submenu has been reworked and now includes links to unread discussions and to the discussion you participated in.
Update of Google API
The Google tools for translating and searching content that are inserted into guidebook pages have been updated. There are now quotas on the number of searches and translations. These quotas will have to be adapted to c2c needs. Until then, don't be surprised if you get an error message because quotas have been exceeded.
- Several third party scripts are used to improve page upload.
- Asynchronous upload of the map tool (except on Internet Explorer).
GPX file upload
- Uploading a gpx file no longer overwrites the altitude of the start of the difficulties. This is particularly interesting for ice-falls and goulottes. The gpx trace allows a precise localisation of these routes on the map and the altitude of the start of the difficulties is ideal for evaluating conditions according to the trends in the freezing altitude (iso0°C)
- Some files were not accepted when created with GPXEditor. This has been solved.
Numerous other bugs were solved.
Dernière modification par F@bien (05-12-2010 14:39:33)
A tutorial, partly in English, has been made to help you use the Map Tool provided by camptocamp. Please enjoy.
Here it is.
Dernière modification par ThomasR (23-01-2011 11:45:40)
Several enhancement have been introduced
New image upload tool (link to the discussion in French)
Filters for outings and images
In searching for an outing or image, you can now add a criteria on the year : Date [ = ] [ ] [ ] [ 2010 ].
This avoids the need to search on an interval between January 1st and December 31st and the url it generates is easier to use (for example: outings/list/date/2010- )
A sort-of list of friends
The list is in fact the list of registred users that have participated in at least one outing of another user (you for example!). It is generated through a url of the type: users/list/friends/xxxx where xxxx is the user's number.
It is also possible to check the friend's outings: outings/list/friends/xxxx
These urls are only accessible by writing them by hand, as it is not a "true" list of friends (you cannot choose who to include).
Lists of outings on the page of a route
The display of outings on a route page has been improved. If a route is associated with other routes (such as variations or the stages in a multi-day raid) then the list of outings is divided in two:
- the list of outings associated with the route on the page (maximum 100 outings listed)
- the list of outings associated with the associated routes (maximum 10 outings listed)
If an outing is associated to the route on the page and an associated route it will only appear in the first list. Although the number of outings in each list is limited, other links give access to all the outings. The tour of the Meije is an example.